This Baklava recipe combines layers of honey-soaked crisp phyllo pastry and a cinnamon-scented nut mixture with pistachios, walnuts, and hazelnut. It is the perfect make-ahead dessert because it’s even better the next day! The texture of crisp, flaky phyllo pastry. The crunchy filling. And the warm honey syrup. It is all you can really want in a dessert!
The primary thing that intimidates people when it comes to making baklava is how to work with phyllo dough. Below are a couple more tips that will ensure you make the BEST baklava ever:
- Thaw the phyllo dough properly. Too much moisture will make the phyllo sticky and hard to manage. Do not remove the phyllo (fillo) from the package, place it in the fridge 12-14 hours before you are ready to use.
- Place the phyllo pastry sheets between two clean towels while you work. Unless you are able to work quickly, before you begin to assemble the baklava, place the thawed phyllo sheets in between two clean kitchen towels. This helps the phyllo sheets remain lenient so they won’t tear or break too much.
- Prepare your honey syrup ahead. The honey syrup needs to be cool when it hits the freshly-baked hot baklava. This way, the hot baklava layers will absorb as much of the syrup as possible and you’ll have perfectly honeyed baklava.
- Cut the assembled baklava into pieces before baking. Before you bake it, use a sharp knife to cut the pastry into pieces Why cut it before you bake it? Because once phyllo pastry is baked, it’s super crunchy and if you try to cut through it then, it’ll break into a mess.
- Make your baklava one night in advance! Hooray for the perfect make-ahead dessert! Baklava is even better the next day when it’s had a chance to completely soak in the honey syrup. You can store it covered at room temperature for one night. Be sure it is completely cooled before you cover it.
Looking For Other “Flippin” Amazing Recipes?
Head on over to our Recipe Index for over 1,200 recipes to try at home! The index is fully searchable by both category and ingredient. We hope you love our recipes as much as we do!
Show Us Some “Flippin” Love
If you try this recipe, be sure to rate it, leave a comment or tag #flipflopfoodies on Instagram. You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
Inspired by The Mediterranean Dish
Leave a Reply