In my opinion, brunch is the best meal in the world. And what makes brunch the best is a fantastic batch of homemade Biscuits. Soft, buttery, flaky and delicious. You can use them to soak up the egg yolk, or spread delicious butter and jam on it. You can also use them to make a sausage, egg and cheese sandwich. Or my favorite, top them with my Biscuit Gravy for that delicious Southern comfort kind of meal. I’ve searched high and low for the best recipe for homemade Biscuits, and with a lot of testing, this is the best one in the world!
Tips for Making Biscuits
- The secret to excellent biscuits is COLD BUTTER. Really cold. Many times the biscuit dough gets worked so much that the butter softens before the biscuits even go in the oven. You want to handle the dough as little as possible because we want that butter to stay cold.
- There are two methods to incorporate the butter into the flour mixture:
- Cut the butter into small pieces, refrigerate or freeze until ready to use, and then use a pastry cutter to cut the butter into the mixture when ready.
- Grate frozen butter with a box grater and then stir it into the flour mixture.
- Both work great so use the method you prefer. Don’t go too crazy here – you want to see small, pea-sized pieces of butter throughout the dough.
- To keep the butter from melting at all, use a cold egg and cold milk.
- The dough is going to be sticky so you want to generously flour the surface before turning your dough out onto it. Sprinkle some flour on top before working with the dough.
- You can either use your hands to pat the dough out, or, if you prefer, use a rolling pin to very gently roll the dough out. If the dough is sticky, just sprinkle on additional flour, about a tablespoon at a time.
Looking For Other “Flippin” Amazing Recipes?
Head on over to our Recipe Index for over 1,200 recipes to try at home! The index is fully searchable by both category and ingredient. We hope you love our recipes as much as we do!
Show Us Some “Flippin” Love
If you try this recipe, be sure to rate it, leave a comment or tag #flipflopfoodies on Instagram. You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
Leave a Reply