Looking For Other “Flippin” Amazing Recipes?
Head on over to our Recipe Index for over 1,200 recipes to try at home! The index is fully searchable by both category and ingredient. We hope you love our recipes as much as we do!
Show Us Some “Flippin” Love
If you try this recipe, be sure to rate it, leave a comment or tag #flipflopfoodies on Instagram. You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 1/2 tbsp canola oil (1 tsp extra for coating the bowl)
- 1 cup water (lukewarm)
- 1/2 cup milk (lukewarm)
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 4 – 5 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 tsp Nigella seeds (optional)
- Salted butter, melted (for brushing naan)
- 4 – 5 tbsp cilantro (chopped, for garnish)
- Add 1 cup lukewarm water, sugar and yeast to a bowl. Let it sit until foamy (about 10 minutes).
- Add lukewarm milk, wheat flour, garlic paste, all purpose flour (all but leaving 1/4 cup), oil, and salt over bloomed yeast.
- Mix all ingredients. Add 1 tbsp remaining flour at a time until dough comes together. Knead the dough briefly, just for 1 – 2 minutes in the bowl. Dough will be a little wet. If it feels too wet or sticky, add 1/2 tbsp flour more at a time. Dough should not be very dry.
- Coat the bowl with 1 tsp oil, add the dough and coat in oil. Cover with plastic wrap and then with a clean kitchen towel. Leave to rise in a warm place until it doubles in size (1 – 2 hours).
- Punch down the dough and transfer to a work surface (flour dusted board)
- Heat an iron skillet or heavy-bottomed pan or preheat oven at 500°F. Microwave and melt the butter in a microwave safe bowl for 15 seconds, add chopped garlic and set aside. Divide dough into 8 – 10 equal parts.
- Roll each dough to about a 6″ wide – 10″ long) oval shape (or round if you prefer). If you’re planning to cook the naan in the oven, leave it a little thicker.
- Spread 1/4 tsp nigeella seeds on boards, place naan on top and gently roll once.
- Place one rolled naan on heated skillet and let it cook for 1 – 2 minutes or until yeast action shows tiny bubbles all over the naan. Flip the naan, place it on direct gas flame until slightly charred and cook on the other side (just 10 – 15 seconds max). Always keep tongs/spatula handy to lift or flip the naan.
- While you roll the next naan, keep the rolled naans covered with a kitchen towel.
- If you’re using the oven, place the rolled naan on a hot sheet tray. Bake for 4 minutes, remove, brush the butter/garlic mixture on the naan, and put back in the oven with broiler on for 1 – 2 minutes, or until the tops are nice and charred.
- Remove cooked naan with tongs and repeat until all naans are cooked. Immediately brush butter-garlic on cooked naans and spread some chopped cilantro. Butter will keep them moist while you finish cooking the rest.
- Serve hot garlic naans with your favorite curry and enjoy!
Leave a Reply